3 goals were the difference down in North Somerset as the Clarets headed Southwest, this time to play Weston-Super-Mare. A fine first half saw a treble for the Clarets, as 3 excellently executed goals saw them take a lead into the break. A well-structured, maintained second half performance brought the points home, as the hosts had no reply.

After changing the side up for the replay on Monday night, Robbie only brought 2 alterations to his starting eleven. Coming off the bench on Monday, Cameron James was into the back 3, with Dave Winfield still sidelined with injury. The only other change saw Mo Dabre replaced as Adam Mills was introduced into the starting side. That left a strong bench, with Ebuozeme, Carruthers, Barnum-Bobb, Castiglione and the Clarets’ latest signing, Ody Alfa, waiting in the wings. A noticeable change was in the captaincy of the side, as Anthony Wordsworth took the armband for the first time this season.


Kicking off down in Somerset, the Clarets looked to set the tone early on. Working the ball forward, Adam Mills was encouraged to go on, and he did. Winning a free kick, he was bundled down just on the edge of the area. Captain for the game, Anthony Wordsworth, took responsibility as he looked to have an effort at goal. His initial strike came back, off the wall as he was presented with another chance. He drove it low, into the seas of players allowing Weston to clear. It was Callum Jones this time who drew the foul, as Lloyd Humphries hauled the striker to the ground. Ben Brookes delivered, but Weston keeper Harrison Lee palmed away well, springing a counterattack. The raced forward and an intervention was needed. That came in the form of a foul and a booking, as Jenkins entered the book.

Deadlock was broken in the 18th minute. It was a passing move from Chelmsford that turned the key and unlocked the door. Numerous passes saw Ruff lay it back to Brookes, who swung in deep. Mo Bettamer was on hand, as he headed down and into the ground, leaving Harrison Lee no chance. Bettamer got on the scoresheet, as the Clarets finally had a reward for their early good play. From scoring the goal to becoming the provider, Bettamer did it all. After surviving a quick chance from Rex Mannings, the Clarets got to work again.

Cameron James had time to pick the ball perfectly, as Bettamer flicked on delightfully. Callum Jones did not have a simple task, as he was pushed wide. However, from the angle, Jones found the bottom corner and it was 2 in the spaces of 2 minutes. Not just 2 goals, but 2 excellently crafted goals from the Clarets. It was a deserved lead that the Clarets had so quickly raced into. However, they had to weather the storm for the next ten minutes, as a determined Weston side looked to find themselves a pathway back into the game. Making his debut, Luke Pearce found himself through, racing down for the 1-on-1 with Josh Oluwayemi. It was Southampton vs Portsmouth loanee, but the keeper prevailed as Pearce forced Oluwayemi into an outstanding save.

But it was work that was rewarded once again. The tough defending brought possession, as the Clarets were able to get forward. It was another corner won, with Jermaine Francis to take. Deep, into the back post Jenkins rose highest and headed down. Whether it was goal bound, who knows but Anthony Wordsworth got the final touch, as he diverted it into the net, and wheeled away to celebrate his first goal for the club. 3 goals were scored, the play was flowing and fans singing their hearts out. It had been a fantastic 30 minutes for the Clarets but not for Weston. A tactical substitution was made with just 34 on the clock, as Rex Mannings was hooked. In his place, Jason Pope came on as they went like for like with the Clarets; 3 at the back.

Aside from brilliance from Luke Jenkins, neither side caused too much danger. Jenkins, in his own box, casually took the ball and dribbled past both Luke Pearce and Reuben Reid. A heart in mouth moment for some, but Jenkins was ever so cool as he played the ball up field. With the 3-goal-lead intact, the Clarets came in for half time, following Elliot Swallow’s commencing of the half.


Music blared out as the sides walked back onto the pitch for the second half at the Optima Stadium, with the Clarets full of confidence. The first noticeable moment of the second half saw Weston provide the danger. Anthony Wordsworth had momentarily been down but was allowed on and became the hero. Weston had got a decent chance, with the experienced Reuben Reid on course to hand them a lifeline, before Wordsworth cleared from the line to maintain his side’s clean sheet. It did not end there, as Wordsworth’s midfield partner was to the rescue next. Luke Pearce, who had scored for Eastbourne Borough against Chelmsford last season, had a great chance to test Oluwayemi. Out of nowhere, as superb block from Watts saw the ball get nowhere near Oluwayemi, as he prevented the danger.

After doing their defending, the Clarets ventured forward. Once again, there was brilliant play and this time, Bettamer was utilising his strength to hold up the ball. He did so brilliantly and almost found Charlie Ruff as the ball just trickled past Charlie’s feet, and out for a goal kick. Ruff could not find any luck, as he almost had a free hit at goal. Adam Mills was slotted through perfectly as him and Ruff were 2-on-1. Mills looked to find Ruff, but and excellent block prevented the Clarets’ number 16 from getting to the ball. The hosts were now enduring their period of defensive work, as the Clarets continued to flow. Robbie did turn to his bench just beyond the hour mark, as Adam Mills was replaced, seeing Josh Castiglione enter the action.

Another change a few minutes later was somewhat enforced, as Mo Bettamer came off. Carruthers was on, and he was in the thick of the action. But, the same pattern continued in the second half, as the Clarets just could not master that final pass. A free kick was the closest that they had came, after Charlie Ruff was fouled. Carruthers was the man to take, as he could only find the side netting. A final change reintroduced Ody Alfa, as he made his second Chelmsford debut. Much like Samir, Ody was involved immediately, as he caused problems down the left-hand side. A driven ball across the box was dealt with by Weston, as they were able to clear.

Heading towards the conclusion of the game, neither sides were bombing forward, with the scoreline looking set. However, there was enough time for Josh Oluwayemi to pull off a great save. James Morton was given too much space and hit an effort from 20 yards out. Oluwayemi pounced across his goal, as he tipped the ball round the post and away for a corner.

In the end, the Clarets’ 12-minute-treble wrapped up the points, as the Chelmsford fans were sent home happy.


Chelmsford City:

Oluwayemi (GK), James, Brookes, Wordsworth (C), Bettamer (Carruthers 69’), Mills (Castiglione 64’), Jenkins, Jones, Francis, Ruff (Alfa 77), Watts

Unused subs: Ebuozeme, Barnum-Bobb

Goal: Bettamer 18’, Jones 20’, Wordsworth 30’

Assists: Brookes 18’, Bettamer 20’, Jenkins 30’

Cautions: Jenkins 7’, Brookes 54’


Lee (GK), Thomas, Bastin, Jagger-Cane, Humphries, Avery (James 80’), Morton, Dodd, Pearce, Mannings (Pope 34’), Reid

Unused subs: Purnell (GK), Grubb, Jackson

Words By Josh Lowe

Cover image by Roger Robinson Photography

Attendance: 1010


Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy