Following a dramatic 3-3 draw at Wolson Park on Saturday, the Clarets were forced into a replay, as Ware travelled to Essex. Just 1 change came for the visitors, as they looked to cause another upset, up against Robbie Simpson’s side. A few changes gave opportunities to Chelmsford players, as they looked to book their place in the next round. They did exactly that, all be it not in the easiest of fashions, as they set their sights on a dip back into the League, before their next FA Cup tie.

Robbie opted to make 5 changes to his side, as the stage was set with Bomsgrove Sporting waiting to find out their opponent. Anthony Wordsworth, Charlie Ruff and Mo Bettamer were all withdrawn dyring the game on Saturday, with the changes happening to the starting side as Watts, Hockey and Jones all started. As well as that, Adam Mills replaced Mo Dabre and Josh Castiglione started over Jermaine Francis. Finally, Samir Carruthers was onto the bench, as Jazzi Barnum-Bobb started. The bench was packed with even more quality, as Wordsworth, Dabre, Bettamer, Carruthers, Francis and Ruff were joined by Cameron James.


Josh Castiglione got the game underway, as Callum Jones was looking to cause danger early on. It was well defended by Ware, as a clearance struck against Jones won them a goal kick, their first action on the ball. Following on from his goal at Weymouth, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb was nearly on hand to score again. The ball was fizzed in, but the ball span out of Jazzi’s reach, and was cleared. He was then involved at the other end, as Ware came forward. The ball was flicked up by Ennin, as the travelling Ware supports went wild, looking for the handball, but waved away but referee Ayrton Hursley. The game was end o end, as the Clarets came forward and looked to put Ware under pressure. Brookes’ long ball was turned behind for a corner, with Callum Jones lurking. Brookes trooped across to deliver, doing so but only finding a Ware head, as they cleared well.

Brookes was seemingly at the heart of everything, as he had an effort on goal. He won the ball back on the edge of the box, where he took it down but could only send his effort high, and over the bar. The Clarets were looking dominant but were lacking the final pass. Eze won possession back, as he then raced forward. Playing a give-and-go with Castiglione, he almost got a great opportunity on the edge of the box, before a great tackle denied any shooting chance. The domination continued, as Hockey came close next. Callum Jones had won the ball back and driven wide. He was able to cross, to find the head of Hockey, who narrowly missed the target. However, not long after a big decision was made.

Ayrton Hursley pointed to the spot, awarding the Clarets a penalty. Callum Jones was the man who took responsibility as he, all be it delayed, stepped up to the plate. 3 minutes later, and it was heartbreak, as Jones saw his effort saved. However, his heart was soon mended, netting the rebound and firing the Clarets into the lead. After celebrating, the game was back underway and it did not take long for another chance to fall the way of the Clarets. Once again, Freddie Hockey was the danger, as this time his effort from the edge of the box whistled past the post.

But, with less than 10 minutes to play in the half, Ware got level.The ball raced through, and it became a foot race between Jacob Marsden and Theo Ofori. Ofori was the winner, as he came away with the ball, and Marsden on the floor. With 2 players racing to the Chelmsford goalline, Ofori was able to turn him, and raced away to celebrate as he levelled up the game. Entering a total of 4 added minutes, 2 golden chances fell, 1 for either side. Firstly, Ware striker Liam Dulson was threaded through amazingly, and he only had Marsden to beat. Jacob reacted superbly, making an amazing save. Then, the Clarets went up the other end and struck a ball across the box. Somehow, Freddie Hockey’s effort dragged wide of the post, as he had his head in his hands.

That concluded the half, as the sides went in level.


A fourth half in the FA Cup this season kicked off, as the Clarets looked to make this their final one in the Second Qualifying Round. Callum Jones was inches away from doing so, after Adam Mills got a great chance to deliver. He anticipated the ball, which the Ware man did not as it fell kindly to Mills. He drove it across the box, but just behind Callum Jones, as he narrowly missed the chance to grab the ball and fire and effort at goal.

With just over an hour played, Robbie turned to his bench. Jermaine Francis, who started and scored on Saturday, came on and Adam Mills was the man replaced. Some great linkup play saw Ben Brookes a great chance to attack. He ventured forward on the left-hand side, where he was able to win a corner. Josh Castiglione was across, and his delivery was perfect finding Dave Winfield. His header looped, up and over and into the back of the net, as the Clarets’ captain made it 2 goals in as many games. However, not long after scoring, Winfield and his defence had defending to do. Ofori was able to break down the right-hand side, before he found Ennin who, unmarked, fired his header over the bar from millimetres out.

However, the Clarets maintained their dominance from previous, as they continued to surge forward. They came close from a corner once again, this time Castiglione almost the scorer. Caruthers’ corner was flicked goalwards by Josh, but then cleared off the line by the Ware defender, to prevent the Clarets from wrapping the game up. However, crossing into the 8 added minutes, it was clear that the Clarets had learnt from their mistakes. Some good game management saw the Clarets emphasise the cliché, the best form of attack is defence. With that, Ware hardly had a chance, and the Clarets progressed into the next round.


Chelmsford City:

Marsden (GK), Brookes, Winfield (C), Ebuzoeme, Mills (Francis 62’), Jenkins, Jones, Barnum-Bobb, Hockey (Ruff 72’), Watts (Carruthers 72’), Castiglione

Unused subs: James, Wordsworth, Dabre, Bettamer

Goal: Jones 24’, Winfield 64’

Assist: Castiglione 64’

Cautions: Marsden 90+6’


Burbridge (GK), Sota, Jacobs (Walsh 90+3’), Nche, Furlong, Rumens (C), Dreyer, Moncur, Dulson, Ofori, Ennin (Chapps 83’)

Unused subs: Nightingale (GK), Kay, Spearman, Rose, Ford

Goals: Ofori 37’

Cautions: Rumens 35’

Words By Josh Lowe

Cover image by Roger Robinson Photography

Attendance: 517

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy