Andronicos Georgiou’s freak cross-come-shot late in the second-half seals win for the Haringey.

Chelmsford City started their 2022/23 Vanarama National League South preparations with a narrow 2-1 loss away to Haringey Borough.

Andonicos Georgiou’s late winner earned the hosts the victory on the day, who were playing their third preseason game ahead of their own season preparations.

Manager Robbie Simpson handed friendly debuts to new signings Charlie Ruff and Harry Lodovica in the first-half, whilst Ovie Ejeheri, Devonte Aransibia, Khale Da Costa and Liam Trotter were introduced int the second-half.

The hosts started the fastest and took the lead through Lewis Hewitt-Bryne.

After winning a free-kick on the right, the floated ball into the box caused a scramble that the City defenders were unable to clear, as the Haringey attacker picked up the ball and fired past Jacob Marsden from close range.

Hewitt-Bryne’s name would be one that was mentioned throughout the first-half as the attacker caused problems down that left-flank.

Despite their bright start, Haringey were unable to take further advantage of their early dominance during the remainder of the first-half.

The Clarets had worked their way back into the game as they looked to take more control, especially in the middle of the park with Louis Dunne and Ruff starting a new partnership together.

New arrival Lodovica had Chelmsford’s first chance on 10 minutes as the striker headed wide from Freddie Hockey’s deep corner towards the back post.

The rest of the first-half saw both sides see equal amounts of possession, before Marsden was forced into making a fine save before the break.

The hosts won a dangerous free-kick on the edge of the box, with Anthony Mendy’s effort looking destined for the top corner, only for the City ‘keeper to stretch out an arm and tip the ball over the bar.

The Clarets started the second-half well with Anisius Lewis, fresh from his long-term injury, fired over the bar following Ade Oluwo causing trouble in the Haringey box.

Chelmsford were then level through substitute Trotter with just over an hour played.

A pull back towards the edge of the box from Jackson found the former Bromley midfielder, who took a touch before firing a low shot with his left-foot past Max Ovenden.

Both sides saw plenty of possession following the equaliser, without fully troubling either defence.

Then came the winner from Georgiou with few minutes left of play.

The substitute winger picked up the ball on the left flank and drilled a fast cross into the City box. The cross was misplaced though, as it went through everyone and nestled into the top corner, catching out Ejeheri in the process.

The Clarets won a free-kick in stoppage time with a chance to level, however, Vaz’s effort sailed over the bar without troubling Ovenden.

Haringey Borough: Mewitt (GK), Ismail, O’Donoghue, Richards, Danso, Owusu, Odeky, Aresti, Mendy, Sambu, Hewitt-Bryne.
Subs: Ovenden (GK), Clarke, Kpemou, Lemba, Ashman, Nimi, Aiylabola, Dupray, Georgiou.

Chelmsford City First-Half XI: Marsden (GK), James, Trialist, Winfield, Norton, Hockey, Dunne, Ruff, Trialist, Jones, Lodovica.

Chelmsford City Second-Half XI: Ejeheri (GK), Payne, Trialist, Oluwo, Vaz, Mupomba, Trotter, Aransibia, Da Costa, Jackson, Lewis.

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy