Once again, Robbie Simpson’s men were playing at Coggeshall, as they welcomed Colchester United to West Street. Simultaneously, in a more northern fixture, the Clarets faced Mildenhall too. Both games were filled with goals, as 2 Claret XIs brought many players minutes, with the new season just a week and a half away from its start.

In goal for the Clarets was once again Jacob Marsden, who had continuously been impressing for Robbie’s side. In front of him was Brookes, Winfield and Jenkins. Ahead of them, Carruther, Mills, Watts, Wordsworth and Triaslists A and B made up the middle and supports to Mo Bettamer who continued to lead the line.


It was the Clarets who looked ontop in the early stages. A good cross into the box was challenged by Anthony Wordsworth as he managed to latch onto it and flick an effort goalwards, with the Colchester keeper more than capable of tipping the effort away from his goal. A few minutes later, he was once again called into action. Trialist B picked up the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed his effort. The keeper was once again able to control the shot, saving as he then gathered and put an end to any chance of a rebound. However, less than 15 minutes into the game and the Clarets had found their breakthrough. Some great play by Adam Mills saw him shift the ball out wide, to find Mo Bettamer. Some great vision from him picked out Trialist A, who was waiting in the middle to pounce and did so. He headed home well, beating the keeper to give the Clarets the lead.

It was seeming to be all Claret from then onwards, as they continued in search of a second goal. The Colchester defence, including former Claret loanee Frankie Terry, stood strong for the most part. It was once again the Trialists causing problems, as this time Trialist B worked his feet well before finding Mills. Adam sent the cross in to meet Trialist B, who could not beat the Colchester keeper with his effort. However, from a long Jacob Marsden kick, Trialist B saw his chance. He raced onto a loose ball, with the Colchester defence unable to clear and was able to smash his effort past the Colchester keeper, to double the lead. A half full of Claret could have had a very different ending, with Marsden and the Clarets defence busy at the end of it. Firstly, Jacob was able to pull off 3 fantastic saves in quick succession to deny Colchester. Next, the Colchester attackers looked to get a chance but were only rushed into it, sending it way over Marsden’s crossbar.

With a late scare, the 2-0 lead was still in tact and the Clarets heading into halftime that way.


Straight from the restart, the Clarets looked to resume their first half performance. The trialists were once again showing their danger, with trialist A winning a free kick. Once again, it was from a long Marsden kick that danger was caused. The resulting free kick took a deflection, but only went behind for a corner. The delivery was not the greatest, failing to trouble. Then, somewhat against the run of play, the visitors got level. It was a volley from a tight angle, but it squeezed in and brought Colchester back into the game. Then, just over a minute later, the game was levelled. The Clarets lost the ball in their own half, allowing a cross and finish from Colchester to grab the game’s fourth. From then on, they looked to be right up for the third.

They were able to get into the back, but only send an effort wide. Following that, the same scenario occurred, with this time Jacob Marsden on hand to get down low and make the save. However, controversy then arrived as the ball deflected through to an offside Colchester attacker, as he and his partner ran through. The linesman’s flag stayed down as a pass past Marsden allowed for a simple tap into the net. After the goal, Robbie turned to his bench seeing Evan Payne come on to replace Anthony Wordsworth. They were able to regain a hold in the game, since going behind as they were desperate to not lose this battle. The trialists linked up well following a counterattack, as B set up A who unfortunately was unable to get his shot off. However, a free kick was won high up, with Ben Brookes standing over it.

Brookes delivered on a sixpence, as Luke Jenkins was on hand to rise highest and head into the back of the net for his second preseason goal, first after signing. The Clarets were not going to lose this battle, all be it a preseason friendly. More Claret substitutions slowed the pace of the game, as Harry Lloyd replaced Trialist B with Carruthers and Trialist A being replaced by Trialists C and D. Aside from a late penalty shout, the game dwindled out as an enthralling six-goal-thriller came to an end at West Street.


Words By Josh Lowe

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy