A trip down south to face a Havant & Waterlooville side in search of their early season form, who are still in search of securing and end of season playoff place. With both Chelmsford and Havant in a struggling vein of form, it was going to be an interesting contest. Despite a very even first half, it was a brace of mistakes, coupled with a great counter attacking goal which brought Havant the three points. With players returning from injury’s and suspensions, Chelmsford can be hopeful for the coming games where the form must improve.

After an emphatic 4-0 win over Witham, Robbie was forced into changes. With both players bagging a brace on Monday, Ody Alfa stayed in the eleven to make his first league start whilst Simeon Jackson was in, taking the armband due to Winfield’s suspension. Ben Brookes was back into the side after his 1 game suspension as well as being cup-tied for Mondays 4-0 win. Elsewhere, Marsden kept his place in between the sticks with Eddie Beach only making the bench. Alongside Eddie, Liam Trotter returned to the bench after being out for almost a month.

Former Clarets Charlie Ruff kicked us off where Chelmsford, after winning the ball back, started well as they looked to infiltrate down the right hand side. Early on, Havant looked dangerous with their latest signing, Callum Kealy. He beat Ernaldo Krasniqi before Frankie Terry was across to block the attempted cross. With just over 5 minutes gone, Havant had a golden chance. Josh Passley managed to get past Ben Brookes and clipped it into the back post where James Roberts was arriving, only to head it into the side netting. There was another good cross from Havant which was aimed towards their striker, Faal who was unable to reach it with Frankie Terry turning it behind for a corner. The corner was delivered in well and the header from Oastler was flicked off the line from Kai Yearn. Some beautiful play from Havant warranted a beautiful save. Ruff played it out to Roberts who drove forward and fired an effort towards goal, seeing Marsden fly across goal to keep it out. Havant, apart from the odd ball forward, continued to dominate and, if it was not for the linesman’s flag, would have had a goal. Mo Faal did well to beat a few men and score, but the ball had gone out during the move.

Just over halfway through, Chelmsford got a great chance. Marsden’s long kick was flicked down to Alfa who picked the ball up and drove inside. Ody was in a shooting opportunity but chose to find Yearn who dragged his effort across the box and just wide of the post and away from any players in Claret. A confusing decision came next as a beautiful, clipped ball by Kai Yearn found Simeon who had the ball taken off his toes by Callum Jones. The chance continued with Jackson failing to turn goalwards as he was bundled down. The referee blew his whistle but for what turned out to be the delayed offside call. After a period of dominance from the Clarets, with multiple corner, Havant manage to clear and James Roberts was able to break, getting one on one with Barnum-Bobb. He flicked the ball round Jazzi who dangled his leg and brought him down, seeing him enter the book. Just before the 45th minute mark, hearts were in the Chelmsford City mouths. A free kick was whipped in and Marsden punched but it fell in the box. It scrambled about and Marsden was able to save as Kealy tried to poke it goalwards. With the final minute added on, there was one chance for the Clarets. Simeon Jackson managed to cut inside and sting the palms of Sharman-Lowe, a good

save. Despite the 1 added on, Havant continued forward. They got a corner which was delivered in, missing everyone and rolling out. Before play could resume, the referee concluded the half.


Chelmsford got the second half underway, with a long ball forward. The Clarets looked to keep at it, dominating the early stages of the second half. Havant’s first chance of the half saw Mo Faal shut down by Frankie Terry, giving the Hawks a corner. The initial corner was turned behind by Simeon Jackson, the second by Callum Jones and the third was cleared well by Frankie Terry after good work by he and Callum Jones. Then, Havant had their best chance of the game. Roberts managed to break into a bit of space and looked destined to score. Frankie Terry put his body on the line, throwing himself in front of it and blocking the shot well. With 10 minutes played in the second half, the stalemate continued. Minutes later, another amazing chance went for Havant. Some well worked play saw James Roberts set Ruff up and his effort was deflected onto the bar. The corner was whipped in and Marsden tried to claim, but the ball slipped through his hands and onto Charlie Ruff’s head and he put it in to make it 1-0. It was inevitable as the former Clarets wheeled away in celebration. Chelmsford went straight up the other end after and Ody Alfa sold Ruff twice, getting a chance to shoot, in which he only found Sharman-Lowe’s hands. After the hour mark, it was time for a return. After going down a few times, Ernaldo Krasniqi’s race was run and Liam Trotter was introduced back onto the pitch.

After some excellent defending from Jazzi, Havant had another corner and another good chance for them to bombard the box. With 65 minutes on the clock, another dagger sliced Chelmsford open. The ball was played across the box and Mo Faal had time to turn and fire his effort low and into the bottom corner, just out of reach from Jacob Marsden. With just 20 minutes left on the clock, Havant’s first goal scorer left the pitch as Ruff was off. Chelmsford also turned to the bench. Reece Grant was sent on upfront to partner Callum Jones and Khale Da Costa was on, going out to the right hand side. Kai Yearn and Tom Blackwell made way. Substitute Reece Grant did look to make an impact, shrugging off 3 players before he attempted to thread Ody Alfa in but, the ball was too far rom him and ended up with Sharman-Lowe. Despite flocking forward multiple times, Chelmsford really could not get many chances. Until, with 7 minutes to go an excellently weighted Jacob Marsden ball sent Khale Da Costa through on goal and, with Sharman-Lowe rushing off his line, he attempted to chip him but could not send it goalwards. From the goal kick, Havant came forward and the ball was fizzed across the box, finding Mo Faal and the open goal, only for the striker to blaze his effort way over the bar.

With 5 minutes to go, Chelmsford needed a bit of fortune but did not get it. Arjanit Krasniqi delivered a great ball in which was flicked on by Simeon Jackson. Liam Trotter could not react quick enough as the ball simple hit his knee and went straight to the keeper. Havant continued to dominate and got yet another great chance. Faal played it to Kealy who managed to guide it goalwards. Marsden got down well and made a fantastic save to deny the striker. The Clarets did not give up as Reece Grant won a corner in the first of the five added minutes. Despite some tricky skill, Grant could not create a chance. Chelmsford persisted and won another corner. With Chelmsford forward, a Mo Faal ball found Burnett who saw Matthews in acres of space, and fed him in seeing him chip Marsden to make it 3-0. The referee’s whistle brought an end to an awful away trip for the Clarets.


Attendance: 1041


Chelmsford City:

Marsden (GK), Barnum-Bobb, Yearn (Grant 72’), Jackson (C), Blackwell (Da Costa 72’), Jones, Alfa, Brookes, Terry, A. Krasniqi, E. Krasniqi (Trotter 60’)

Unused subs: Beach (GK), Hockey

Cautions: Barnum-Bobb 38’


Havant and Waterlooville:

Sharman-Lowe (GK), Passley, Newton, Oastler (C), McCarthy, Kealy, Miller-Rodney, Roberts (Gobern) 82’), Faal, Burnett, Ruff (Matthews 70’)

Unused subs: Rooney, Collins, Shroll

Goals: Ruff 59’, Faal 65’, Matthews 90+2’

Cautions: Miller-Rodney 69’, Newton 89’

Words by Josh Lowe

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy