Another Monday night fixture was upon Chelmsford as Slough made the trip across to Essex. After a 2-0 win earlier in the season, Robbie would be looking for a repeat. With a 3-0 lose to Havant on Saturday, Chelmsford needed to show some fight and get a result. And that they did. Yet again, it was a 2-0 win. The Clarets had an excellent second half and, accompanied with a red card incident, secured a great win as well as a clean sheet. The ten men of Chelmsford held strong and got a good win, against a Slough Town side who had been in some good form in recent weeks.

After the defeat to Havant on Saturday, changes were needed. Returning from injury, Eddie Beach was back in between the sticks replacing Jacob Marsden, who had played the last 3. Elsewhere, there was a return for the skipper as Dave Winfield, after missing out on Saturday through suspension, was back in. Simeon Jackson and Ody Alfa remained in the eleven, with Ernaldo Krasniqi dropping out through injury. On the bench, it was a return for Jamie Yila, who had been out for a few weeks with injury.

We got underway at a foggy Melbourne Stadium, with Former Claret Scott Davies’ Slough looking to start on the front foot. An early free kick was well cleared by the returning Dave Winfield. Chelmsford looked to hit back minutes later, with a chance of their own. Simeon Jackson got some good space on the left of the box and was able to send a ball across the box towards Ody Alfa but a Slough defender managed to get in and clear, just before a serious chance arose. Slough came forward next, just shy of the 10-minute mark as Obi was played in with only Winfield and Beach to beat. Winfield marshalled him well and the shot, from a tight angle, just whistled wide of the post and the goal. After an error in the middle of the park, Winfield was backtracking and saw Slough through on goal. Beach rushed out well and got down well, to make a good save and force a corner. The corner was well dealt with by the Clarets. With the game continuing to be a scrappy one, Chelmsford did have a good chance of their own as a Da Costa corner was met by Simeon Jackson, but he could not turn the ball towards goal. After a beautiful flick from Ben Brookes, Grant attempted to replicate as Krasniqi’s ball bounced up towards the striker, but his flick shot was straight at the defender next to him, and Slough managed to clear.

With just under 10 minutes left of the half Chelmsford won another corner. Da Costa delivered brilliantly and Frankie Terry rose highest to head down, straight to the feet of Grant. With his back to goal Reece tried to turn it goalwards but a good defensive tackle stopped him in his tracks. After some goo play by Amartey, he had to be stopped and Winfield turned behind. The corner looped high up in the air and whipped round to the back post, only for no one to be under it and for a goal kick to be awarded. After some possession for the Clarets up field, an excellent ball forward set Slough away. The ball was played excellently across by Kayani and Louie Walsh was there. It was a golden chance and he looked set to score just as Frankie Terry flew across to produce an outstanding block and keeping the scores level. Soon after, the referee brought the half to an end, with the scores remaining equal.


The second half got underway with a mistake at the back by Slough looking to make things interesting, only for Bournemouth loanee Will Dennis to clean things up. Less than a minute later, Slough had a brilliant chance. Louie Walsh danced through the Chelmsford defenders and looked to provide the finish, but was wide of the target. Yet again, they had another chance. This time, Lench got some space on the edge of the box and fired a ferocious effort towards goal, causing Beach to spring across goal and make a top class save. The Clarets looked to come forwards next, as Ody Alfa threaded Reece Grant through on goal. He evaded one tackle before his ball found Barnum-Bobb. His cross was only to the hands of Dennis and the threat died out. After a foul on Reece Grant, Chelmsford had a chance to deliver. The ball was played just over the head of Frankie Terry and simply bounced off Dave Winfield and to the edge of the box. It fell to Khale Da Costa who lined up a shot, but could only send it over the bar. After a good save from Dennis, Chelmsford has a corner. It was delivered well, and Simeon had a good chance, saved. It fell to Frankie Terry. The defender made no mistake as he turned in and scored his first goal for the Clarets. Everyone celebrated as the Clarets took the lead, with an hour played. Less than a few minutes later, it was 2-0. Arjanit Krasniqi, after a bit of fortune got a golden chance to shoot and did he just. From the 6-yard box, he fired his effort past Dennis and doubled the Clarets’ lead.

Just before we got to the 70-minute mark, Chelmsford made things harder for themselves. An off the ball tangle saw Reece Grant get a straight red carded, just minutes after receiving a yellow. The remaining 20 were to be played with 10 men for the Clarets. A few minutes later, Robbie turned to the bench, in order to look to keep the result safe. Simeon Jackson and Ody Alfa were replaced, and Callum Jones and Tom Blackwell were on. Chelmsford looked to go to a more defensive approach, with Slough searching for a way through. Slough continued and were forcing Eddie Beach into action, as he sprung across to make a good few saves. Callum Jones, being the lone striker, was tracking down the Slough defenders, applying pressure when he could and forcing them back. The Clarets defenders continued to put up a valiant display, heading, blocking and clearing multiple crosses and shots. Yet again, Eddie Beach was keeping on top of his game. A great effort from Benyon was once again palmed away by the keeper, as he looked determined to keep on to his clean sheet. With the minutes trickling away, Robbie made his final sub. Jamie Yila was welcomed back from injury as he replaced Khale Da Costa, allowing him to get some minutes back on the pitch. With the 90 up, the referee indicated 5 minutes to be added on extra, as Chelmsford looked to defend their lead until the final whistle. Despite being a man down, the Clarets continued to go forward. Jones clipped a beautiful ball over the top and Blackwell was in behind. He cut inside and fired his effort towards goal but it was just too powerful as it rose and cannoned off the bar, just away from the onrushing Yila. Then, the referee brought the end to the game as the Clarets secured a vital 3 points



Chelmsford City:

Beach (GK), Barnum-Bobb, Trotter, Winfield (C), Jackson (Jones 72’), Da Costa (Yila 88’), Alfa (Blackwell 72’), Grant, Brookes, Terry, Krasniqi

Unused subs: Yearn, Hockey

Goals: Terry 58’, Krasniqi 62’

Cautions: Grant 66’, Beach 88’

Sent Off: Grant 68’

Slough Town:

Dennis (GK), Jackman (C), Hall (Dandy 64’), Togwell, Amartey, Lench, Obi, Eweka, George, Walsh (Benyon 63’), Kayani (Goddard 63’)

Unused subs: Davies, Dobson

Words By Josh Lowe

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy