Another away game for Chelmsford brought them to Canvey Island to face Concord Rangers. The Clarets had struggled on the road, looking to right this against their Essex rivals. Concord had only just lifted themselves off the bottom of the table, with a 1-0 win away to Welling on Saturday. A slow start by the Clarets saw a rather easy goal scored by Concord, giving the Clarets a tough task to fight there way back. A fantastic defensive performance and a great attacking display saw Chelmsford take vital points. A hard-fought win was a well celebrated one, with players and fans in jubilation. The Clarets will look to take the good form back to Melbourne Stadium, with the visit of Worthing on Saturday.

Robbie did make a few changes to his starting side, after a valiant effort was not rewarded against Hampton & Richmond. After leaving the field injured on Saturday, Cameron James was not in the squad, seeing Jazzi Barnum-Bobb brought in to replace him. Tom Blackwell was into the side, after scoring City’s consolation at the weekend. Another player who impressed was Giovanni McGregor, with his cameo from the bench. Those 2 replaced Callum Jones and Freddie Hockey, as the pair dropped to the bench. They were joined by Jacob Marsden, Finn Wilkes and the man who has rejoined the Clarets on Tuesday, Frankie Terry. The defender was back to help push for promotion in the final 10 games of the season.

Chelmsford kicked the game off and within the first minute looked to cause danger, with Tyreke Johnson sending a dangerous ball into the box. The Concord defence managed to deal with the early threat. Concord got into the game soon after, as a thrown in caused problems and saw Bettamer’s shot blocked. Concord managed to regain possession and recycle it into the box, where it was headed in easily by Bettamer to make it 1-0. A great clipped ball gave Bettamer a free header and he made no mistake. Chelmsford needed an early goal, but it was their opposition who got it. Concord continued their fast start, as Jack Thomas was played in. He at Beach and shot, hitting the side netting and saving Chelmsford’s blushes. It was nearly another early chance for the hosts, as Quentin Monville dinked a ball to send Nana Kyei through. It was overhit from Monville, as Beach rushed out to intercept. Concord looked to be dangerous from the throw, but only saw them lose possession. After falling behind, the Clarets needed a response and were looking to grow into the game and put plenty of pressure on the Concord defenders. Johnson looked to cause more danger, as he sent crosses into the box which were well dealt with by Pollock and his defenders. Another Johnson ball brought a corner for the Clarets just before 20 minutes passed. Tom Blackwell was across to take, and his delivery was met by Dave Winfield, only for his header to be blocked immediately.

Concord had the better start as they continued to flood forward at moments, looking dangerous and getting a fortune chance, as the ball bounced over the top for Monville who had Ben Brookes for company, and won a corner. The ball in was won by Winfield but he clashed heads with a Concord player, seeing them both require treatment. Luckily, both players were alright, and the game continued as Concord, once again, looked to utilise their high amounts of possession. Chelmsford’s best chance came after the half an hour mark as a long Ben Brookes ball caused problems. It bounced over the defender and Blackwell chested it down. Lewis Manor was up against him but

slipped and Tom was given the space to cross, which was blocked. The corner was cleared, and Hernandez managed to hook it even further up the pitch. Barnum-Bobb picked the ball up, and some good play saw him draw a foul from a Hernandez tackle. The ball was delivered in, but straight to Beeney’s hands. The Clarets continued to apply the pressure, with a few good balls into the box causing challenges. The ball was shifted back out wide to Liam Trotter, who crossed but could only find Beeney. As the offense continued, the Clarets finally got their breakthrough. Ody Alfa picked the ball up and ran at the Concord defenders. He fizzed the ball into Michael Folivi, who span and fired a beautiful effort low and hard into the bottom right. Mitch Beeney was routed to the spot, as Folivi celebrated his third goal for the Clarets.

With the minutes ticking away in the first half, it was nearly the Clarets’ lead after some great play. Ody Alfa linked up well with Giovanni McGregor who played him in. Alfa looked up and drilled the ball across the box, where the outstretching Tom Blackwell was just inches away. As we entered the added time, unknown to how much due to the board not being shown, Concord had a chance, as Winfield fouled Hernandez. Bettamer stood over the free kick, about 25 yards out, and dipped his effort over the wall, but Beach was across managing to catch and hold the ball well. The Clarets went up the other end, with Liam Trotter waltzing past Max Hudson and found Giovanni McGregor. He looked up, and switched the ball across to Ody Alfa who, unfortunately lost the ball with a poor first touch. Beeney regained the ball, and his long kick saw the referee conclude the half as it ended level at 1-1.


The second half got underway, as Concord got the ball rolling. An early chance to deliver saw Ben Steward look to clip the ball in, only to see Eddie Beach rise high and claim. After receiving a ball from Beach, Brookes was dispossessed, and tried to make up for his mistake, He brought Hernandez down, and gave away a questionable free kick, despite winning the ball. The free kick was fired well over the bar and posed no threat at all. The Clarets were causing the danger, as Tom Blackwell raced forward and saw his low cross blocked. His corner was won by Winfield, who header across the box, only to see Concord clear. The pressure continued, as Ben Brookes stood over another corner. He whipped in it and Steward gave away another corner, which then went through everyone and hit Winfield and out. It was continued offense by the Clarets, as another fantastic chance fell to Chelmsford. Tyreke Johnson burst past his man and was able to deliver. Michael Folivi then touched the ball down excellently, was able to spin to face goal and poked his effort goalwards. Beeney stood strong and managed to save, going down in the process with him having saved with his unmentionables. Mitch Beeney was called into action a few minutes later, as Ody Alfa had cut inside and dribbled around multiple players. He finally had space and drilled an effort on goal. The 6 foot 6 inches keeper got down well, and saved.

With the possession stacking up for Chelmsford, Krasniqi forced Beeney into a goo save. The ball shifted across to him, and he took the ball to his left and fired low and hard, seeing the Concord keeper get down well. The shots kept on coming, as after the corner McGregor fired a ferocious effort towards goal, seeing Beeney once again fly across to save. Concord had their first real break of the half, as a corner was won at the halfway point. The ball was sent in and Concord’s first substitute, Charlie Campbell, rose and header towards the goal, but wide of Eddie Beach’s post. A great chance for Concord was soon turned into a dangerous attack for the Clarets. The Beachboys’ free kick was cleared, and Ody Alfa was on the move. He ran well, holding off multiple players and found Folivi. Michael skipped past Concord’s captain, Aron Pollock, who the brought him down. He was booked, and the Clarets had a chance at a shooting distance. Tom Blackwell dipped his effort but was straight at Beeney. Chelmford maintained some possession and worked it out well to

Barnum-Bobb. He played a world class ball to Alfa, leaving Max Hudson in no mans land. Hudosn clipped Alfa and gave away a penalty. Michael Folivi took charge and stepped up. He struck well, but Beeney made an excellent save. Giovanni McGregor was on hand, and smashed the rebound in, finally giving the Clarets the lead. McGregor bagged his first Clarets goal in his first Clarets appearance.

With 15 minutes to go, Chelmsford looked to see out the game, and possibly get a third. A brilliant long ball by Eddie Beach was nodded down by Tom Blackwell who found Alfa. He, yet again, drove at the Concord players, causing them all sorts of problems. He then gave it to Tyreke Johnson, who could not find a Chelmsford player in the box as Concord won the ball back. They failed to break forward, for a few minutes, until Nana Kyei came forward. The ex-Chelmsford players put a ball into the box, towards Ben Williamson who won his header. He had wrong footed Eddie Beach, forcing him back the other way. Eddie stretched across, and did incredibly well to save, keeping the Clarets’ lead intact. As we entered the final 10 minutes, Frankie Terry was brought on for Tyreke Johnson, seeing Chelmsford revert to a back 4. An excellent piece of play by Concord, saw Bettamer pick up the ball and turn excellently. He sprayed a ball across to Max Hudson who latched onto it, only being able to win a throw. Before the throw was taken, with a goal and assist Michael Folivi was off and Callum Jones was up top to end the game. The points were nearly secured, as in the 89th minute a defensive error set Tom Blackwell through. Beeney came out, and Blackwell scooped the ball up over him but only onto the top of the net. 5 minutes were added on, after the 90 was up, with Chelmsford playing to maintain the points. With just a minute to go, some excellent work from Tom Blackwell saw him win a free kick, as he was tripped by Ben Steward. The free kick gave Concord back the ball, only to be disposed soon. Alfa picked the ball up and ran rings around 3 Concord defenders before winning a corner. The corner was taken short, and the whistle blown as Chelmsford took their first away win since the 2-1 at Weymouth.



Chelmsford City:

Beach (GK), Barnum-Bobb, Trotter, Winfield (C), Johnson (Terry 79), Folivi (Jones 87), Blackwell, McGregor, Alfa, Brookes, Krasniqi

Unused subs: Marsden (GK), Hockey, Wilkes

Goals: Folivi 38′, McGregor 76′

Concord Rangers:

Beeney (GK), Popo (Ogunwamide 79), Thomas, Pollock (C), Monville, Bettamer, Kyei, Hudson, Manor (Campbell 60), Steward, Hernandez (Williamson 69)

Unused subs: Blanchfield, Modeste

Goals: Bettamer 5′,

Cautions: Hernandez 27′, Pollock 71′

Words By Josh Lowe

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy